January Free shipping on orders over $75
Free T-Shirt with $99 purchase - Click for details

Manitoba Fishing Regulations

If you are looking to learn more about Manitoba fishing Regulations, you have come to the right place. Keep in mind that Manitoba fishing regulations may change over time and you should always double-check before you go out fishing.

Your Angling Licenses

Over-the-counter, you can buy a PRINTABLE angling license from Manitoba E-Licensing, a participating shop, or by phoning the Help Desk at 1-877-880-1203.


Note: If you have any concerns regarding the e-licensing system, please contact the Manitoba e-Licensing Help Desk at 1-877-880-1203.

License Requirements

The possession of an Angling Licence is necessary for any person who engages in angling, dip netting, seining, minnow trapping, spearfishing, or bow fishing according to Manitoba Fishing Regulations.

Regular and Conservation Licence

The privileges of a Regular Licence are identical to those of a Conservation Licence with the exception of lower limits for some species: 4 walleye/sauger, 4 pikes, 1 lake trout, 1 channel catfish, 2 smallmouth bass, and 2 stocked trout. Others have comparable limitations.

Manitoba Resident Seniors Licence

The "Manitoba Resident Seniors Conservation Licence" is for Manitobans who are 65 years or older and have resided in the province for at least 6 months. Residents rather than conservation license holders should buy a regular license if they want to get a steady supply of fish.


Resident, Canadian Resident, or Non-resident Licence

  • A resident of Manitoba is a person who has resided in the province for at least six months.
  • A Canadian resident is someone who has resided in Canada for the previous six months but spent part of that time elsewhere.
  • A non-resident is an individual who has not resided in Manitoba or Canada for the preceding six months.


Manitoba Fishing Regulations Exemptions

People who don't have a license to angle may do so without one if they are:

  • A young person who has resided in Manitoba for at least six months and is not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident under the age of 16. Youth under the age of 16 are entitled to all of the privileges and benefits provided by a Regular Licence, including their own personal limit on fish. All other criteria must be met. When an Officer asks you for proof of your age, you must provide it.
  • A minor who is a Canadian resident or non-resident under the age of 16 may not purchase a day ticket. A Day Ticket is only available to residents and non-residents over the age of 16. The restriction must be applied to the maximum amount allowed by the license owner, or someone who does not require a license, and it cannot exceed that person's limit (limit does not apply). If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident under the age of 16 wanting to buy one (limit does not apply), you will need to pay for another.


Manitoba Fishing Regulations In National Parks

AIS, or aquatic invasive species, is a term used to describe the plant and animal life that has been introduced by humans into an ecosystem (including aquariums) where it does not belong.


Please visit the Manitoba Agriculture and Resource Development's website for information and regulations on AIS in Manitoba.


Manitoba Fish and Wildlife Enhancement Fund (FWEF)

The goal of the fund is to strengthen and sustain our fisheries and wildlife resources in order to benefit all Manitobans. For further details on applying for the fund or learning more about it, please visit the website of the Manitoba Fish and Wildlife Enhancement Fund.


Recently Viewed